Sunday, January 20, 2013

Bandy Championships: Day One travel to Vetlanda, Sweden



Vetlanda, Sweden

Development World Championships

Saturday, January 19, 2013
0800 - Awoke and into the kitchen to make some coffee, before tackling the final packing of my luggage. I have layed out all of my gear, uniform, and clothing on the ping-pong table - and my cat, Greta, has realized that I am soon to be departing. This trip, I have tried to pare down my gear to only that which is absolutely necessary. Much of this tournament week will be filled with activities where our referee dress will consist of either our FIB issued warm-ups with polo shirt, or we will be in our referee uniforms for when we are on the ice working our games.  There is one special item that I have included this year, and it is my coffee filter kit. There have been just too many bandy trips where the only coffee available is instant, either in packets of a small jar in our referee locker room. I have expanded my coffee kit this year to include an immersion water heater, and a nested set of cups that should enable me to make a nice batch of hot coffee. I've also brought along my most trusted (and dented) Stanley thermos.

0945 - All packed up and I am out the door, headed to the public parking deck at the 28th Avenue Light Rail Train station. I have found that parking here is most convenient for transport to and from the airport. The temperature is a quite nice 31 F(-1 C) this morning, however, we are leaving just in time as a deep freeze is expected envelop the state for the next several days. The high temperatures are not expected to rise above 0 F (-18 C).  We are expecting the temperatures in Vetlanda to be in the mid 20's F (-4 C) this week. We will have a couple of outdoor tune-up games before the tournament begins on Wednesday. All of the tournament games will be held indoors at the new Sapa Arena.  As climate change has increased winter temperatures, all of the elite Swedish bandy teams are required to play indoors - eliminating problems associated with rain or fog preventing matches from being played.

1006 - The LRT has arrived, and I am on the short ten minute ride to Terminal 1 at MSP for the reasonable fare of $1.75. Upon arrival at the station, it is a short ride up two elevators to the cable tram that takes me into the main Lindberg Terminal 1, where I arrive right on time for our groups check in at United Airlines for the first leg of our journey. A couple of the other players have arrived, but I am the first of our referee crew. I weighed my bag on a scale at home, and found it to be about 46 pounds, just under the limit. I stop at a luggage scale just to double check my bag and it shows the weight to be 50.0 pounds. Upon final check-in the weight shows 48.5 pounds, so no problem or chance of incurring extraoridary fee for overweight luggage. After check-in, we proceed thru security and on to the gate lounge.

As we wait at the gate, there is an increasing presence of security, with several security personnel wearing the 2-way radio ear pieces and speaking into their sleeves. I put it off to the fact that we're heading to Washington, D.C. (IAD) on inguguration weekend. Soon there are several delegations of what appear to be African diplomats who proceed onto the plane before the formal boarding process.  As it turns out, the extra security is for the President of Somalia who was visiting Minneapolis. The government of Somalia was just the other day granted recognition by the United States, and their President visited to speak to the large community of Somalians in the area.

1230 - we're all on board and the plane, and Embraer 170, has pushed back from the gate. The estimated flight time is just under two hours.

1530 - arrival at IAD. We must take a crazy tall transport/lounge from our arrival terminal across the tarmac to another terminal where we take a train to our International departure gate. I am able to catch a glimpse of the famous original terminal building built by Sarrinen (spelling). The terminal has a graceful shape built of reinforced concrete.

1700 - boarding is complete for our second leg of the journey on the Airbus A340. I believe that my attaire has helped my seating assignment, for the woman at the check-in indicated that she had changed my seat assignment to an aisle. As it turns out there is an empty seat between myself and goal keeper, Derek. Nice. Dinner on the flight is pot roast with carrots and mashed potatoes. I try to get some sleep, but it is not easy, and soon the lights in the cabin are turned on and we expect breakfast service shortly.
The morning meal consists of some yogurt, granola, ham/cheese sandwich and orange juice.


Sunday, January 20, 2013
0630 - We arrive in Copenhagen, and are through passport control by 0715.

0730 - the terminal in Copenhagen is centered around some incredible shopping (not that I am interested). The stores are almost all high end retail, which should be expected. I am ahead of the group and arrive at our gate to find the aircraft has been here overnight and waiting for us. I have pushed on ahead of the group, and I find myself with some peace and quiet.  I think some may have stopped for coffee and danish.

0900 - We have boarded the SAS MD-80 airplane, and are ready for our final leg of the journey to Gothenberg, (GOT).  After push back onto the tarmac, we wait a few minutes before the Captain announces that the left engine will not start. We must return to the gate, and they will have another aircraft ready for us in ten minutes. We all disembark the plane and walk a few gates down the concourse. Several of the guys head for the korva (hot dog) stand.

1000 - We're all aboard another MD-82 aircraft that also has been sitting outside all night and is quite cold. One of the older airplanes that I've been on in a while, for each arm rest has an ash tray. Fifteen minutes later, we are pushed back and headed for the de-icing station before departure.

1025 - wheels up and we're on our way to GOT. We have not even reached cruising altitude, and I can smell the fresh coffee - and it is good.

1053 - wheels down at GOT and we are greeted with a beautiful landscape of frosted trees. We all quickly retrieve our luggage, and find our luxury motorcoach waiting. Outside temperature is -2 C (28 F)

1115 - we're on our way to Vetlanda, and expect about a three hour drive. Most of the guys will have crashed hard on the drive and hope to get some good rest, for the USA team play the Vetlanda U-20 team tonight at 8 PM in the bandy arena. Petrol stations are advertising E85 gasoline for 10.58 SEK/liter ($6.19/gal); 95 Octane ($8.45/gal); Diesel ($6.20 /gal)

1400 - all checked into the hotel. Apparently there has been a small mixup at the hotel, and most of the room assignments have had to go to three to a room. We find our referee crew together with two twin beds and a fold out queen. There is so little room, so we will have to ensure that we can keep our gear at the arena. Immediately, I put in the ear plugs and try to get a couple hours sleep.  Later the team will go for dinner at 1700, then off to the arena at 1800.

I am able to get a good couple hours sleep before we head out to get something to eat. My team mates awake me, and we wander down the street to a pizza joint. I expected to find some of the other players there, but there were none ... not necessarily a good sign. We are short of time, so we decide to go for it. Probably just as well, for we'll get quick service. We opt for the family size kebab pizza for 180 SEK ($28).

1800 - back to the hotel to catch rides to the arena for the first tune up game. The motorcoach has been released from duty, so there are half a dozen volunteers who are shuttling the players to the arena.

2000 - the game begins between Team USA and the local bandy club's Under 20 team. This is great chance for us to work out the kinks from the long day of travel. The game goes well for us, and the US team as they defeat the local club by a score of 14-2.

2200 - after the game, we hang our gear to dry and head back to the hotel. It's Sunday night in this small town and everything is closed, so we have a left over slice of pizza and watch some NHL hockey on the local channel.

2345 - time for bed, its been a very long day.

1 comment: